Policy Manager, #cut50
Reports to: Policy Director, #cut50
Start Date: ASAP
Salary Range: $70k-85k, Depending on Experience
Location: Sausalito, California or exceptional candidates based in NYC or DC
Dream Corps is a bridge-building and solutions-oriented organization founded in 2015. We work to close prison doors and open doors of opportunity. While acknowledging the “battle ground” issues that divide us, we focus on the “common ground” solutions that unite us.
#cut50 is a national bipartisan effort co-founded by Van Jones and Jessica Jackson to reduce crime and incarceration in all 50 states. We unite unlikely allies -- formerly and currently incarcerated individuals, community members, crime survivors, and elected officials -- to work together in transforming the criminal justice system. By recognizing the humanity of people impacted, we can change laws in order to create safer streets and more peaceful neighborhoods.
- Change the narrative: leverage the power of media and storytelling to generate empathy for the millions of people impacted by our criminal justice system.
- Seize the momentum: Capitalize on bipartisan support by cultivating a coalition of elected officials, public supporters, and advocates across the political spectrum.
- Make a case for action: Mobilize a community of supporters influencing elected leaders to support transformative criminal justice policies.
- Inform the public: Build better understanding of the challenges and solutions within our criminal justice system with mainstream audiences.
#cut50 seeks a new Policy Manager to add to our growing team. We are especially interested in candidates who have direct experience with the criminal justice system, strong written and verbal communication skills, and a passion for supporting our legislative efforts at the state and federal level.
The Policy Manager will help develop and implement our policy priorities and legislative strategy. Manager will help craft effective legislative campaigns, working closely with state and federal elected leaders, grassroots leaders, and unlikely allies to further criminal justice legislation. Candidates must be strong writers, have excellent research skills, and be comfortable working under multiple, competing deadlines.
Candidates who have been personally impacted by the criminal justice system are strongly encouraged to apply. We also look for people comfortable working with a small, fast-paced and highly dedicated team. J.D. or MPP required.
- Perform extensive research on criminal justice policy
- Develop state and federal policy platforms
- Monitor emerging legislation, regulations, and policy developments
- Prepare talking points, internal memos, op-eds, and content
- Manage and coordinate meetings with elected and public officials
- Work closely with the Policy Director to draft and analyze legislation
- Manage coalitions and convene stakeholders
- Build and maintain exceptional relationships with policy-makers, program partners, coalitions, and advocates
- Work with senior leadership and strategic partners to design and implement campaigns
- Monitor progress of planned activities and provide regular reports
Candidates should possess:
- J.D or M.P.P Required
- Minimum of 3 years policy experience
- Experience crafting criminal justice policy
- Direct knowledge of state and federal legislative processes
- Ability to work effectively with elected leaders, staffers, and diverse stakeholders
- Appreciation for the transformative power of media, storytelling, and digital advocacy
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Strong organizational and administrative skills; with keen attention to detail
- Strong work ethic and willingness to go the extra mile
More about the job
This full-time salaried position will be located in our Sausalito offices. Some travel will be required. We are open to receiving inquiries from exceptional candidates located elsewhere.
Please send cover letter and resume to Applications@dreamcorps.us with “#cut50 POLICY MANAGER” in the subject line.
In your cover letter, please tell us 1) Why you want to work with us 2) Why you are a good fit for this particular position 3) How your previous work or life experience prepared you for this role.
Dream Corps is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and strive for a workforce that reflects the populations that we serve.