Support the First Step Act!
The FIRST STEP Act, passed out of the U.S. House Judiciary Committee by a vote of 25-5 with strong support from both Republicans and Democrats!
This bill would restart the long, hard process of fixing our broken justice system -- with special relief for men and women currently incarcerated in federal prison. The FIRST STEP Act would ensure people are prepared to come home from prison job-ready and have major incentives to pursue the life-changing classes that will help them succeed when they come home.
- Ban the shackling of women during childbirth and provide sanitary napkins and tampons at no charge;
- Give thousands of men and women an opportunity to earn their way home sooner (by fixing “Good Time Credits” retroactively);
- Get people out of federal prison earlier and into halfway homes or home confinement;
- Require the Bureau of Prisons to place incarcerated people within 500 driving miles of their families;
- Allow formerly incarcerated people to serve as volunteers and mentors;
- And expand compassionate release, thereby giving the elderly and terminally ill a pathway home.
Join #cut50 in supporting!
Our best chance at fixing the federal prison system in 2018.