Communications Manager, #cut50
Reports to: Deputy Director, #cut50
Start Date: ASAP
The Dream Corps is an incubator, platform and home for world-changing initiatives.We bring people together to solve America's toughest problems.
#YesWeCode, #cut50, #GreenForAll, and the #LoveArmy are initiatives of the Dream Corps. We work to close prison doors and open doors of opportunity. We fight hate with Love + Power.
#cut50 is a national bipartisan effort co-founded by Van Jones and Jessica Jackson to reduce crime and incarceration in all 50 states. We bring together unlikely allies— celebrities, lawmakers, formerly and currently incarcerated people, crime survivors, local officials, and law enforcement — to transform the criminal justice system. By recognizing the leadership and humanity of people who are directly impacted, we can change hearts, minds and laws to create a fairer and more effective criminal justice system.
- Change the narrative: leverage the power of media and storytelling to generate empathy for the millions of people impacted by our criminal justice system.
- Seize the momentum: Capitalize on bipartisan support by cultivating a coalition of leaders working across political spectrum.
- Make a case for action: Mobilize a community of supporters to influence elected officials in transforming criminal justice policy.
- Inform the public: Help build better understanding of the issue with mainstream audiences.
This is an incredible opportunity for a rising star to leverage their deep understanding of digital advocacy, storytelling, and media partnerships to build bipartisan support for reforming the US criminal justice system. Working hand-in-hand with leadership and both our Policy and Organizing teams, the Communications Manager will help develop and manage the initiative’s communications strategy.
Working with the Deputy Director, the Communications Manager will manage the initiative’s communications efforts across all program areas including social media, traditional media and public relations, digital communications, web presence, and events.
Working with the Policy Director and with the support of additional staff including interns, volunteers and consultants, the Deputy Director will support the initiative’s advocacy efforts including grassroots action campaigns, lawmaker education, celebrity engagement, limited direct lobbying activities and other efforts as needed.
The Communications Manager will work to align communications and advocacy efforts with strategic priorities that advance legislative solutions, utilize new innovation in media and digital communications, and engage key audiences to achieve organizational objectives.
- Collaborate with senior leadership to identify specific communications goals and develop plans and strategies to reach them
- Manage communications and marketing team, including internal staff and external contractors and vendors
- Oversee all aspects of strategic media relations, including writing and disseminating press releases, organizing press conferences, pitching stories to reporters, drafting talking points and op-eds, and coaching #cut50 spokespeople
- Developing and cultivating relationships with various partners, media outlets, and influencers
- Serve as editor of our website, blogs and social media
- Oversee the digital advocacy infrastructure, including working with National Organizer and supervising Digital Organizer and communications team
- Oversee the creation and execution of effective digital campaigns utilizing email, social media, digital marketing and web properties
- Manage the review and draft reports, articles and other documents developed for public education, community outreach, legislative outreach and other purposes
- Stay abreast of digital media trends and social media tools to continuously identify new opportunities and refine existing strategies
- Supporting public appearances of the National Director and Board Chair
- Maintaining brand standards and organizational identity
Candidates for the position must have at minimum:
- 5+ years of experience in communications, media relations, or public relations, preferably in an advocacy or nonprofit organization (in some cases, relevant graduate education [e.g., law degree] may be credited as experience)
- Understanding of a broad range of #cut50’s issues and advocacy strategies
- Media relations experience working with media outlets at national, regional or local levels
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Experience in working with diverse audiences, including elected officials, community leaders, bipartisan audiences and the public
- Familiarity with digital platforms and a commitment to learning and adapting to new and emerging tech/platforms
- A profound and well-articulated commitment to social justice
- Project management and collaboration experience including inter-departmental or multi-disciplinary projects and shepherding projects from inception to completion; and
- Leadership, supervisory or project management experience
- Proven ability to work within an organization emphasizing teamwork and excellence.
More about the job
This full-time salaried position will be located in our Marin City and Oakland offices. Some travel may be permitted/required.
Please send cover letter and resume to Applications@dreamcorps.us with “#cut50 COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER” in the subject line.
In your cover letter, please tell us 1) Why you want to work with us 2) Why you are a good fit for this particular position 3) How your previous work or life experience prepared you for this role.
Salary is competitive and standard benefits are provided. Dream Corps is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity at all levels.